Discord is a popular communication platform that allows users to chat, voice call, and share content with others. Whether you’re a gamer, a student, or someone who wants to connect with like-minded individuals, Discord has something to offer. In this beginner’s guide, we’ll walk you through the basics of using Discord.
How to use Discord
Step 1: Create an Account
The first step to using Discord is creating an account. Visit the Discord website and sign up for an account. You’ll need to provide an email address, username, and password. After completing the registration process, you’ll receive an email confirmation to verify your account.
Step 2: Join or Create a Server
Once you’re logged in, you can join an existing server by clicking the plus icon in the left sidebar and entering an invitation link. Alternatively, you can create your own server by clicking the plus icon and following the prompts. When creating a server, you can choose a name, description, and select the region for the server.
Step 3: Customize Your Profile
After joining or creating a server, it’s important to customize your profile. Click on your username in the bottom left corner of the screen to access your user settings. Here you can change your profile picture, set a status, and customize other settings.
Step 4: Explore the Server
Once you’re in a server, you can explore different channels and interact with other members. Discord has both text and voice channels. Text channels are used for chatting and sharing content, while voice channels allow for real-time voice communication. You can join a voice channel by clicking on the channel name and selecting “Join Voice.”
Step 5: Interact with Other Members
To interact with other members, you can send messages, share content, and join voice channels. To send a message, simply type in the text box at the bottom of the screen and press enter. You can also share images, videos, and other files by clicking on the “Attach” button. If you want to join a voice channel, click on the channel name and select “Join Voice.”
Step 6: Manage Notifications
Discord can send you notifications for various activities on the server, such as when someone sends you a message or when there’s a new post in a channel. You can manage your notification settings by clicking on the server name and selecting “Server Settings.” From there, you can customize your notification settings.
Step 7: Use Discord on Mobile
Discord also has a mobile app, which you can download from the App Store or Google Play Store. The mobile app allows you to access your servers and channels from anywhere. You can also receive push notifications for new messages and mentions.
Join or create Discord servers
Discord servers are online communities that allow people to connect with others who share similar interests or hobbies. Joining or creating a server is easy and can be done in just a few steps.
Joining a Discord Server:
- Get an invitation link: To join a server, you’ll need an invitation link from the server owner or a member of the server. The invitation link can be shared via social media, email, or messaging platforms.
- Click the link: Once you have the invitation link, click on it to open Discord in your web browser or launch the Discord app on your desktop or mobile device.
- Accept the invitation: You’ll be prompted to accept the server invitation by clicking on the “Accept Invite” button. After accepting the invitation, you’ll be taken to the server and can start interacting with other members.
Creating a Discord Server:
- Click the plus icon: To create a server, click on the plus icon located in the left sidebar of the Discord app or website.
- Select “Create Server”: Select the “Create Server” option to create a new server.
- Customize your server: Enter a server name, select a region, and choose an image for your server. You can also customize the server’s settings and create channels for text and voice communication.
- Invite members: Once your server is set up, you can invite members by sharing the invitation link with them. You can also set up specific roles and permissions for different
- members in the server.
Control Discord notifications
Discord notifications can be useful for staying up to date with new messages and mentions, but they can also be distracting or overwhelming. Here are the steps to control Discord notifications:
- Open Discord settings: Click on the gear icon in the bottom left corner of the Discord app or website to access your user settings.
- Navigate to “Notifications”: Click on the “Notifications” tab in the left sidebar of the user settings.
- Customize notification settings: In this section, you can customize your notification settings by server and channel. You can choose to receive notifications for all messages, only mentions, or no notifications at all.
- Manage server and channel notification settings: You can also manage notification settings for specific servers and channels. Click on the server or channel name and select “Notification Settings” to customize notification settings for that server or channel.
- Customize sound and visual notifications: In the same “Notifications” tab, you can also customize the sound and visual notifications for each type of notification.
- Manage push notifications: If you’re using the Discord mobile app, you can also manage push notifications by going to your device’s settings and selecting “Notifications” for the Discord app.
controlling Discord notifications can help you manage your time and focus better. By customizing your notification settings and managing server and channel notifications, you can reduce distractions and stay on top of important messages and mentions.
joining or creating a Discord server is a simple process that can help you connect with others who share your interests. By following these steps, you can join an existing server or create your own and start building a community.
In conclusion, Discord is a powerful communication platform that offers a variety of features for connecting with others. By following these basic steps, you’ll be able to join servers, interact with other members, and customize your profile. With Discord, you can build a community and stay connected with others who share your interests.